Processing Magazine

Chevron announces first oil from Blind Faith Field in Gulf of Mexico

November 17, 2008

Chevron Corporation announced that it has started crude oil production from its Blind Faith Field in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico, as reported by the Associated Press. First oil from Blind Faith was achieved on Nov. 11, 2008. Daily production is expected to ramp up to approximately 65,000 barrels of crude oil and 55 million cubic feet of natural gas over the next three months. Blind Faith utilizes a deep-draft semi-submersible hull located about 160 miles southeast of New Orleans, La., on Mississippi Canyon block 650. Chevron’s deepest offshore production facility, Blind Faith is located in 6,500 feet of water, and with subsea systems located in 7,000 feet of water in Mississippi Canyon blocks 695 and 696. The Blind Faith discovery well was drilled in June 2001 and encountered more than 200 feet of net pay in Miocene sands at depths of 20,900 feet to 24,300 feet. A successful appraisal well was drilled in 2004. The field has an estimated gross resource potential exceeding 100 million barrels of oil-equivalent. Chevron holds a 75 percent working interest in Blind Faith and is the operator, and Anadarko Petroleum Corporation holds the remaining 25 percent working interest.