WILMINGTON, Del. (May 24, 2022; Solenis release) — Solenis, a leading global producer of specialty chemicals used in water-intensive industries, has released its 2021 Sustainability Report summarizing the company’s environmental stewardship, social responsibility and governance (ESG) initiatives for the previous fiscal year. The report is available for download at www.solenis.com/en/sustainabilityreport. It’s considered a progress update on company initiatives and baseline data that were first reported from 2020.
“Our goal with the Solenis Sustainability Report is to continue providing transparency about our organization while setting targets and tracking the initiatives that keep us accountable along our sustainability journey,” said CEO John Panichella.
The 2021 report is based on Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Standards and has been externally validated by an independent certification agency. Important highlights include:
- Revisions and prioritization of U.N. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to address gender equality, clean water and sanitation, decent work and economic growth, responsible consumption and production, climate action and partnerships for the goals, such as working with employees to address community needs where Solenis operates.
- Recognition as a Platinum-rated company by EcoVadis, a leading rating agency in corporate social responsibility and sustainable procurement. The Platinum status indicates that Solenis scored in the Top 1% of chemical companies that were evaluated for sustainability management.
- Key measures in the category of Well-being, Health and Safety of Our People showed 820 new hires. Globally, female employees make up 24% of the 5,300-employee workforce and 21% of executive leadership positions are held by women. In the U.S., racial/ethnic diversity makes up 37%. These measures are positive indicators that Solenis is focused on diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and is empowering employees to participate in change and growth.
- Health and safety metrics showed 30 work sites having lasted at least one year without a recordable injury, 11 sites were injury free for at least 5 years and 4 sites for at least 10 years.
- Solenis launched several key Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives in the past year, including a diverse pipeline and scholarship program and a women’s leadership sponsorship program. Others included an expansion of employee network groups and a celebration of International Women’s Day, Juneteenth and an International PRIDE event. An Allyship program was also introduced to support an inclusive work environment.
- Solenis reported on targets and key performance indicators of its sustainability goals that include customer relationships, R&D innovation and digitalization. Each of these goals works as part of a broader initiative to address global issues such as water scarcity, deforestation and climate change.
“We’re proud to continue showing progress across all of our sustainability efforts and also grateful to learn where we need further emphasis,” said Panichella. “With some of our strongest gains in the area of social performance, along with 820 new hires and a more diverse and more engaged workforce, we are confident we will make further strides toward our goals.”
To read the 2021 Solenis Sustainability Report and to learn more about the company’s roadmap for sustainability, visit www.solenis.com/en/sustainability/sustainability-roadmap.
Solenis is a leading global producer of specialty chemicals, focused on delivering sustainable solutions for water-intensive industries, including the pulp, packaging paper and board, tissue and towel, oil and gas, petroleum refining, chemical processing, mining, biorefining, power, municipal, and pool and spa markets. The company’s product portfolio includes a broad array of water treatment chemistries, process aids and functional additives, as well as state-of-the-art monitoring and control systems. These technologies are used by customers to improve operational efficiencies, enhance product quality, protect plant assets, minimize environmental impact and maintain healthy water.