WILMINGTON, Del., June 11, 2020 (PRNewswire) — DuPont recently announced it has achieved several milestones in fulfilling its commitments introduced in August 2019 related to per and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS). These actions advance the company's plans to achieve its 2030 Sustainability Goals to make the world safer, healthier and more sustainable.
"We're pleased to have made this progress in delivering on our promises related to PFAS chemicals as we strive to live our core values of sustainability and environmental stewardship," said Alexa Dembek, Chief Technology & Sustainability Officer, DuPont. "We look forward to sharing further updates as we continue our progress on these commitments and our broader 2030 sustainability goals."
To date, DuPont has achieved the following milestones:
- Eliminated the use of long-chain PFAS from our products and processes, including recently integrated operations, by the end of 2019.
- Eliminated the purchase and storage of PFAS-based firefighting foams at many of our sites and are on track to eliminate all PFAS-based firefighting foams at our sites by the end of 2021(where legally allowed).
- Conducting ongoing remediation at DuPont sites that have a historic PFAS footprint.
- Providing $6 million of unrestricted research funding over the next three years to the National Science Foundation (NSF) to fund innovative PFAS remediation technologies. The NSF recently requested proposals for novel PFAS research as part of this initiative. www.nsf.gov/pubs/2020/nsf20090/nsf20090.jsp
- Providing open-source access to technical guidance documents on how to use DuPont and other manufacturers resin technologies for PFAS remediation. www.dupont.com/pfas/remediation-technology-sharing.html
- Enabled access to DuPont's proprietary product stewardship software to organizations including the Berkeley Center for Green Chemistry, Beyond Benign, Rutgers and others. To make this software broadly accessible to others seeking to guide assessment of chemical alternatives in their operations, we intend to launch the Chemical Awareness Toolkit at the ACS 24th Annual Green Chemistry and Engineering Conference on June 15 – 19, 2020.
- Engaging with ERM, an accredited third-party expert and leading global provider of EHS and sustainability related services, to review our management of substances of current and emerging concern to further improve our processes and protocols.
For more information on our actions and to review the full PFAS commitments, please visit us at www.dupont.com/pfas and follow us on Twitter @DuPont_news.
DuPont (NYSE: DD) is a global innovation leader with technology-based materials, ingredients and solutions that help transform industries and everyday life. Our employees apply diverse science and expertise to help customers advance their best ideas and deliver essential innovations in key markets including electronics, transportation, construction, water, health and wellness, food, and worker safety. More information can be found at www.dupont.com/.