An industrial estate in Dundee, Scotland, was evacuated on Sunday after a suspected chemical leak at a frozen food processing plant.

Emergency services were called to Dundee Cold Stores just after 2:00 p.m. following an accidental leak of ammonia, reports said.

Officers from Police Scotland, the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and Scottish Ambulance Service attended the scene and one man was treated for minor irritation as a result of inhaling fumes from the chemical.

Ammonia is a strong, colorless gas which can be harmful if inhaled. Symptoms of inhalational ammonia toxicity include eye, nose and throat irritation, chest tightness, cough and shortness of breath.

Police Scotland closed off access to the site during the incident but said that there was no risk to the public and no cause for concern.

Officers later advised local residents that a controlled release of chemicals would be undertaken by specialist engineers over the next 24 to 48 hours and this was likely to result in a strong odor in the area. However, the release of the chemicals is not harmful to humans or animals.

A police spokesman added: "Public safety remains of paramount importance in resolving this incident and specialist engineers/personnel are working closely with emergency services to bring this incident to a safe conclusion."